. Advertisement .
Instructions: After reading the assignment for this week’s lab, answer the following questions in complete sentences.
Answer each of the questions, and then enter the terms into the box indicated in order to construct a diagram of alternation of generations.
l. What generation means ”spore- bearing plant”?______ (Box 1)
2. What generation means “gamete-bearing plant” ?______ (Box 2)
3. What type of cell does the generation in box 1 give rise to?______(Box 3)
4. What two types of cells does the generation in box 2 give rise to?
_______ (Box 4 or 5) and ______ (Box 4 or 5)
5. The cells in boxes 3, 4, and 5 are reproductive cells that are all haploid. However, the cells in boxes 4 and 5 differ from the type of cell in box 3 because these cells have to come together during an event called ______ (Box 6) in order to grow into a living organism.
6. When these cells do come together they form a ______ (Box 7), which has a ______ (Box 8) chromosome number. This marks the transition to the other generation because this grows into the generation you indicated in box 1.
7. Since this generation came about through the union the cells in boxes 4 and 5, it______ (Box 9) chromosome number.
8. Since this generation gives rise to haploid reproductive cells you have already entered in box 3, it must do so through the cell division process of ______ (Box 10).
9. These reproductive cells, unlike those in boxes 4 and 5, do not need to unite in order to grow into the next generation. Given a habitat conducive to germination, they simply grow into the next generation through the cell division process of ______(Box 11).
10. Since the generation in box 2 arose through simple growth of a haploid cell, it must have a ______(Box 12) chromosome number
11. Since this generation gives rise to haploid cells in boxes 4 and 5, it must do so through the cell division process of ______ (Box 13). Note that this is different than in animals.
♦ Relevant knowledge
Spores are the asexual method of reproduction found in many plants mostly in non-flowering plants. Spore-bearing plants don’t make seeds. Spores are produced in huge quantities by lower plants, such as algae bryophytes, fungi, and pteridophytes.
. Advertisement .
Questions 1,2,3 are correct. If you have already answered the questions, then these are your answers.
Question 4 – The two types of cells that generate the box 2 generation are sperm or egg.
As you can see in the figure, Question 5: Event becomes Fertilization.
Question 6: These cells will come together to make a zygote, which has a 2N Chromosome.
Question 7: This generation was created by the union of the cells in boxes 4 and 5. It must also have a 2N number.
Question 8: Cell division process for Meiosis.
Question 9: Cell division process for Mitosis.
It must be Question 10: and have a 1N number of chromosomes.
Question 11: Cell division process of mitosis.